Frequently Asked Questions

Home 9 About Us 9 FAQs

On this page you’ll find answers to the most commonly asked questions from applicants.

We hope that you find the answer to your question, and if not, please don’t hesitate to ask at our Open Night events or email [email protected] or call 01 8026577.

Application & Interview

Before I apply, I’d like to know more about a course, where can I find this information?

You can get more information about any course, including progression routes after completing the course, by clicking on Courses in the menu above.

You can also ask your questions live on our Open Night events by typing your question into the comments field on YouTube. Our panel will do their best to answer any question you may have about a course.

What are the entry requirements for a level 5 PLC course?

The PLC (Post Leaving Certificate) courses on offer here in Dunboyne College cater for:

  • Students who have completed senior cycle education and require further vocational education and training to prepare for employment or progression to other studies. Please note, our minimum age is 17 years by 31st of December of the year of entry to DCFE. Please refer to our Admissions Policy for further information in relation to this
  • Adults returning to education who may not have completed the senior cycle but have the competencies and capacity to undertake the programme
  • Some courses have extra entry requirements which can be found on the specific course page under Requirements. (E.g. Music has an audition, Art has a portfolio, Childcare has an English literacy test etc.)

How do I apply for a course?

You can apply for a course through our online application system. By clicking the “Apply Now” button you go directly to the application page. You will receive confirmation of your application via email. It’s important to use an email address that you use and check regularly, as this email will be used for all future updates from the college office.

How much are the fees for PLC courses at Dunboyne College and how do I pay my fees to secure my place?

More information on fees and grants can be found here.

You can access your application details via the Dunboyne College website (click Login/Pay Fees in the menu at the top of the page) using your ID number and password. 

No cash will be accepted at the office. Payments can be made online or by cheque (payable to Dunboyne College of Further Education), by bank draft or by postal order only.

Is there an interview?

We are holding formal interviews for the academic year 2024-2025 for some courses. As part of your application, you are asked to upload documentation. Click here to learn more about this process and the documentation that should be uploaded to the application system.

I have additional educational needs/a medical condition, why should I include this information in my application?

Students that have additional needs or requirements can benefit from a range of supports and accommodations throughout their studies. If you tick ‘yes’ you will automatically be registered with Student Support Services and will be eligible to access a wide range of supports that will assist in helping you get the very most from your time in the college. Stating that you have an additional need will not influence your application, it actually allows our support team to make sure that all supports are in place if you should need them when you start your course.

I’ve started my application, but can I upload my documentation at a later stage?

Once you have started the application process, you can use your MIT application login details to upload the remaining documentation at a later stage. Be advised, applications won’t be considered complete without this documentation.

I’ve already applied and uploaded my documentation, but when and how will I find out if I’ve been offered a place on a course?

We’re processing applications periodically. Don’t worry if you’ve missed this first round, you can apply online at any time. The average waiting time to find out the result of your application is approximately 14 days but late applications in September will be dealt with more promptly.

I’ve been offered a place, how do I accept and confirm my place?

Congratulations! You will have received an email from our Admissions Office with information on what should happen next. You’ll find information about how to pay a deposit and how to fully register for your place on the course online through the application system.

Are courses full-time or part-time?

All courses in DCFE are full-time. Even though you may be only timetabled to attend classes for 3/4 days, your course is a full-time course. It is expected that students will use the other days for work experience* or for study and assignments. Any letter confirming a student’s registration in the college will state that the course is full-time. Timetables are only issued in September.

*See ‘Other Common Questions’ for more information about Work Experience placements.

Career Guidance

I’m interested in a particular area of study, but I don’t know which course I should apply for?

You can find out more about any course through our college website, but you may feel that you’d benefit from finding out more information. We have two very experienced Career Guidance counsellors, Meabh Nimmo and Derek Ball who can talk through your preferences and find the course that best suits you and your interests.

What can I do if I change my mind about the course I’ve applied for?

Once you started your course in September you may wish to change courses. You must meet with the Career Guidance counsellor of your department and they will talk with you about your options. After you meet with them, they will be able to apply for this transfer on your behalf. You cannot switch courses without having this meeting first.

Will I have access to workshops, talks and information about CAO applications and progression routes?

Dunboyne College of Further Education offers Career Guidance Support to students in the form of one to one and group/class careers information sessions.

This service also includes:

  • College Open Days in DCFE

  • Advice on University/IT progression routes and links

  • College entry requirements and help with CAO/UCAS (UK entry systems) applications

  • Information on employment, labour market trends and CV preparation

  • SUSI grants

  • Information on past student progression

The student Moodle page has a career section updated with upcoming events and information plus information on the drop in service.

Educational Support

I’ve stated in my application that I have an additional educational need and/or medical condition, what happens next?

If you tick ‘Yes’ to having an ‘Learning Difficulty’ or ‘Medical Condition’, then you are automatically registered with Student Support Services. You will contacted by a member of our support team before you start your course in September. They will discuss what supports are available and how best to support you throughout your studies.

If you have been formally assessed with any educational need and have documentation with a diagnosis, then you must forward this paperwork to our Learning Support Coordinator, Catherine Joyce. You scan and email this documentation to [email protected]

If you have an ongoing medical condition or disability, you will also be contacted by a member of the support team who will discuss your requirements and the supports that are available in the college.

I have additional needs, what type of support is there available in DCFE?

We’re proud to say that our support team and services are known for the high level of support they provide to students. Here are just some of the support services that are available:

  • Educational Support (One-to-one educational support appointments with experienced staff)

  • Assistive Technology Training (An introduction to assistive technology available to encourage and support independent study)

  • Academic Support (Workshops and one-to-one academic support with staff from different disciplines)

  • Career Guidance (One-to-one career guidance)

  • Counselling (One-to-one counselling sessions)

  • Mental Health Counselling (More intensive counselling sessions over a longer period)

I’ve never been formally assessed for an educational need, can I still get support in my studies?

If you suspect that you have an additional educational need but have never been formally assessed or diagnosed as having one, you are still able to access support services and academic support in the college. During Registration (early September 2023), you should make contact with our Learning Support Coordinator Catherine Joyce and she will be able to discuss the supports that are available*.

*Please note, that while you may be offered exam accommodations based off your meeting with a member of the support team, spelling and grammar waivers for exams are only issued to students that have an official diagnosis of Specific Learning Difficulties – Dyslexia.

Transport Services

Do I need to book a place on a private bus?

If you’re planning on using one of the independent private bus services, then you should make contact with the provider before your Registration week in September 2023. They will take note of your contact details and confirm your weekly booking.

Go to our Location and Transport page for more information about transport services available.

Other Services & Facilities

What other services are there in the college?

We have a wide range of services and supports available in the college. More information about these services and supports will be provided during Registration week in early September 2023.

  • Library Service

  • Canteen Service

  • Computer Labs

More Support Services

  • Academic Support

  • Mathematics Support

  • English for Academic Purposes (EAP)

  • Mental Health Counselling

  • I.T. Support

  • Mature Student Support

Is there a Student Union?

Yes, we have a large and dynamic Student Union in the college. This union has over 100 representatives from all courses in the college and is continuing to grow. In October 2023, elections for SU representatives will take place. It’s a great opportunity to contribute to the development of the college, make new friends and to represent and work on behalf of your peers as Class Representative.

The aims of DCFE SU are:

  • To enhance communication between students, teachers, support staff, senior management and board of management.

  • To promote an environment conducive to the educational and personal development for all.

  • To promote friendship and respect amongst peers.

  • To support the management and staff on open days, fundraising events, interview days etc.

  • To represent the views of their respective class group on matters of general concern to them.

  • To liaise and work with members of staff on the DCFE Student Environment Committee.

  • To represent student interests and issues arising at Board of Management level.

Are there extracurricular activities and events?

Throughout the academic year, we have many events and initiatives that take place. Here are just some of these annual events:

  • #DCFEYouthClub
  • Soccer and Gaelic matches
  • Goal Jersey Day & Goal Mile
  • Trick ‘R Treat for Temple Street
  • Christmas Jumper Day
  • Christmas Shoebox Appeal
  • Live Music Gigs
  • Wellbeing & Mental Health Awareness Week
  • Silent Disco
  • Karaoke Competitions
  • Graduate Association event
  • Green Campus initiatives
  • Erasmus Work Experience

and many more…

Other Commonly Asked Questions

Do all students have to do Work Experience? Do I have to find my own placement or does the college do this for me?

Work Experience placements are a requirement for all QQI Level 5 and Level 6 courses in the college. Level 5 students must complete at least 60 hours of work experience and for Level 6 courses, students must complete at least 120 hours of work experience.

Each student is responsible for securing and completing their own work experience placement. The college does not arrange work experience placements. One day of your timetable is dedicated to this work experience and you can arrange to complete it at any stage before April 2024.

Your Work Experience teacher will discuss this with you when you first meet in September.

I would like to withdraw from/cancel my place on a course, how do I do this?

If you decide to withdraw from your course during the academic year, you must notify the college by email at dunboynecollege@lmetb.ie and return your student card to the library.

If you require documentation confirming your withdrawal you can request this in the same email. It is very important that you notify the college by email of your decision to withdraw, so that the date you officially left is correctly recorded. You may require letters to confirm this for future reference. Please note that the date we receive your email will be considered the date of your withdrawal. Failure to notify the college in writing may affect later claims regarding social welfare entitlements.

Do I get a refund if I cancel my place?

€30 of your fee is a non-refundable administration fee, which is required to secure your place.