Optional Year 2QQI Level 6 Available
The following modules will be offered in 2022, subject to change due to availability and demand:
- Professional Practice Placements in Early
Learning and Care
- Legislation, Regulations and Children’s Rights
- The Developing Child
- Curriculum, Play and Creative Studies
- Understanding and Assisting Children with Additional Needs
- Holistic Care of Children
Level 6 – Year 2
- Advanced Professional Practice Placements in Early Learning and Care
- Sociology and Social Policy in Early Learning and Care
- Developmental Psychology
- Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Supervision and Leadership in Early Learning and Care
- Inclusive Early Learning and Care
- Administration in the Early Learning and Care Sector
WHAT IS CHILDCARE?
This two-year course will aim to prepare participants for work with young children in the rapidly expanding world of childcare and crèche supervision/management. The childcare worker needs social, communication and caring skills to work with individuals and groups. Childcare will lay a foundation for these skills and provide the work experience to put learning into practice. This course will serve as training for crèche/ community care/healthcare industries or as a link to childcare or early childhood education courses in many Universities and IT colleges throughout the country and the UK. This programme is ideal for both school leavers and experienced mature persons seeking a formal education.
- 2 Year QQI Level 6 in Early Learning and Care
(option of exiting after year 1 with a QQI Level 5)
- First Aid Response
- Child Protection Online Course
Graduates may pursue level 7/8 Early Childhood degree courses in Maynooth University, DCU, University of Limerick, UCC, Marino Institute of Education, as well as in TU Dublin – Blanchardstown, IT Carlow and many other IT colleges around the country.
Students can progress to Year 3 of Early Childhood degrees in many UK Universities. Students may also seek immediate employment in a range of childcare centres, classrooms or community initiatives. Early Learning and Care graduates can access the 175 places in First Arts in Maynooth University, or progress to Social Care/Social Study degree programmes in TU Dublin and Primary School Teaching.
- Leaving Cert or LCA
- Mature students of all backgrounds
- Other equivalent qualification
- A literacy test (applicants will be contacted)
All applicants will be interviewed regardless of previous qualifications.
Apply directly using the button below.
EXAMPLES OF HIGHER EDUCATION PROGRESSION:
Maynooth: MH801 Early Childhood Teaching and Learning (Level 8, 3 Years)
DCU: DC001 Early Childhood Education (Level 8, 4 Years)
TU Dublin – Blanchardstown: TU993 Early Childhood Care and Education (Level 8, 4 Years)
Sunderland University (UK): Entry to Year 3 of BA in Childhood Studies (Level 8, 3 Years)
Marino Institute of Education: CM020 Early Childhood Education (Level 8, 4 Years)
TU Dublin – City Campus: TU995 Early Childhood Education (Level 8, 3 Years)
Course fees of €200 are to be paid before registration and include course materials, examination fees and a €30 non-refundable deposit.