Optional Year 2
QQI Level 6 Available
The following modules are subject to change due to availability and demand:
[B] Equine Business
[S] Equine Science
- Stable and Yard Routine [H]
- Business Administration Skills [B]
- Marketing Practice [B]
- Accounting (Manual & Computerised) [B] [S]
- Laboratory Techniques [S]
- Biology [S]
- Chemistry [S]
- Physics [S]
- Mathematics [H] [B] [S]
- Communications [H] [B] [S]
- Work Experience [H] [B] [S]
- Word Processing [H] [B] [S]
- Safety and Health at Work [H] [B] [S]
- Sport Horse Riding [H] [B] [S]
- Sport Horse Riding Instruction [H] [B] [S]
- Equine Nutrition [H] [B] [S]
- Equine Anatomy and Physiology [H] [B] [S]
- Horse Breeding [H] [B] [S]
- Horse Conformation and Evaluation [H] [B] [S]
- Young Horse Training Techniques [H] [B] [S]
WHAT IS HORSEMANSHIP?
This new one-year course will prepare students for the ever expanding Irish equine industry and provide students with the knowledge and skills relating to the horse industry. The education and training on this course works to enable the student who loves horses to pursue a career in the horse industry, or continue their studies at third level in the equine area.
By changing their combination of modules, students can avail of the Business award or Laboratory Techniques award to continue to third level to study in this area.
- QQI Level 5 in Horsemanship 5M3371
- Business 5M2102/Laboratory Techniques 5M3807
Graduates may seek employment in a range of companies and projects that seek graduates with an equine, business or science aptitude. Alternatively, students may also progress to participating Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) through the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme to Maynooth University Business with Equine, undertaking the Business award 5M2102, Animal Science Equine in UCD, and Bio-Veterinary Science in Athlone IT undertaking the Science award 5M3807. There are also a large range of other degree courses available in universities and IT colleges throughout the country.
- Leaving Cert or LCA
- Mature students of all backgrounds
- Other equivalent qualification
All applicants will be interviewed regardless of previous qualifications.
Apply directly using the button below.
EXAMPLES OF HIGHER EDUCATION PROGRESSION:
UCD: DN250 Animal Science-Equine (Level 8, 4 Years)
Maynooth: MH404 Business with Equine (Level 8, 3 Years)
IT Athlone: AL842 Bio-Veterinary Science (Level 8, 4 Years) CAFRE-Equine Management